As we previous version of the convertor you can convert powered on (hot cloning) or powered off physical and virtual machines, but this version offers a lot more migration functionality:
- Import running remote physical and virtual machines as virtual machines to standalone ESX/ESXi or to ESX/ESXi hosts that vCenter Server manages.
- Import virtual machines hosted by VMware Workstation or Microsoft Hyper-V Server to ESX/ESXi hosts that vCenter Server manages.
- Import third-party backup or disk images to ESX/ESXi hosts that vCenter Server manages.
- Export virtual machines managed by vCenter Server hosts to other VMware virtual machine formats. n Configure virtual machines managed by vCenter Server so that they are bootable, and install VMware Tools or customise their guest operating systems.
- Customise guest operating systems of virtual machines in the vCenter Server inventory (for example, change the host name or network settings).
- Reduce the time needed to set up new virtual machine environments.
- Migrate legacy servers to new hardware without reinstalling operating systems or application software. n Perform migrations across heterogeneous hardware.
- Readjust volume sizes and place volumes on separate virtual disks.
Converter Standalone works with VMs running in vCenter, on stand-alone ESX or ESXi hosts, VMware Workstation, VMware Fusion and VMware Player.
The Converter Standalone application consists of Converter Standalone server, Converter Standalone worker, Converter Standalone client, and Converter Standalone agent.
You can install Converter Standalone components only on Windows operating systems.
Converter Standalone supports Windows and Linux operating systems as sources for powered-on-machine conversions and virtual-machine conversions. You cannot reconfigure Linux distributions.